Tuesday, January 18, 2005

First, some notes about movies

Gooooood morning, chickadees. I hope that everyone had an enjoyable weekend. Mine was a delightful three days of not having to come to work, and I even left the house a few times! First I forced BK to see Sideways, and then yesterday he forced me to go see Million Dollar Baby. Throw in a little red carpet Golden Globe action on Sunday night, and you've got fucking Cannes in Dallas. Kinda.

Sideways was enjoyable, although I made the mistake of really building it up in my head ahead of time, so by the time we actually went, I'd heard from many people how it's the best movie ever, blah blah, so then you're sitting there expecting an out-of-body experience, and when all you get is a movie, it's a little disappointing.

I had the opposite experience with Million Dollar Baby. I am not a fan of men, let alone women, beating one another senseless and therefore not a fan of boxing (and hockey*), so I was really digging my heels in. HOWEVER, BK was chomping at the bit to see it so I gave in, and I gotta say, that was a hella good movie. Check it out when it comes to a Theater Near You.

Which brings us to the Golden Globes, or as I like to call them, the 2004 Golden Globes: Tits on Parade. I swear to all things holy, every actress out there on the red carpet was one stiff breeze away from a wardrobe malfunction. I stared in horrified fascination at Lisa Ling's right breast, which was COMPLETELY EXPOSED up to a millimeter of her nipple when she stood sideways to interview the glitterati. I gaped in awe at Paula Abdul, who appeared to be high as a kite on prescription painkillers and who was wearing a mammogram as an evening dress. And I marveled at how cold Mariska Hargitay must have been when she accepted her award. THE "GOLDEN GLOBES" WERE TRULY ON DISPLAY SUNDAY EVENING. Ha. Ha. Ha.

* Perhaps one day I will share with you just how disgusted I am by hockey fans, how frightened I am by the individuals who jump up and down in the front row, beating on the plexiglass divider Just. Like. Chimpanzees, hooting and screeching in excitement as grown men attempt to club one another to death on the ice.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hockey? what reminded you of hockey? that sport is almost not even existing anymore. Did you go see one of the minor league teams?

-kracker

January 18, 2005 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Karo said...

Sarachkah, I posted in the MDB thread on IB, but I gotta say I'm usually hyper-sensitive to the emotional manipulation, and I wasn't feeling it here. Unlike, say, Finding Neverland, which was downright brazen in its desperate attempts to make you cry.

And Kracker, I only mentioned hockey since I was talking about sports I don't like because they involve people beating the shit out of each other. Haven't been to a game since 2000, when BK would impress me with Wizards and Capitals tickets and meals at the shmancy Capital Club.

January 18, 2005 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

I had a similar experience with Sideways. I did manage to see it before all the hype, and I had so many friends tell me how great and hilarious it was that as much as I tried not to get my hopes up, I did! I liked American Splendor (last year's Paul Giamatti film) much better. I mean, it was good, fun, funny, sad, but not memorable. I'm trying not to do that with MDB but I'm pretty sure the same thing is happening with that one.

I missed the red carpet Sunday and have had huge regrets - I won't be making that mistake again!

January 18, 2005 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Karo said...

I did indeed see A.I. I guess it must have been pretty bad, cause I've effectively blocked it out of my mind.

January 19, 2005 at 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home