Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Why I might have raised my voice at my father this evening

Background information you need to know: My father still owns our old apartment in Poland and is selling it. I've legally inherited a share from my mom, and so I had to get a power of attorney notarized. I then had to send to the state of Texas for notary certification. Then I had to send it to the Polish embassy so they could put a $200 stamp on it.

So I get all this done, and every. single. time. I've talked to him since my dad reminds me to bring it with me over Christmas.

FINE.

I've got that.

So he calls today. For the 3rd day in a row. He's obviously grumpy about something. The first thing out of his mouth is, "You didn't send me that list of drink ingedients you said you'd send yesterday."

(He's become obsessed with BK mixing cocktails while we're in Toronto. Don't ask.)

I said, "BK was supposed to do that. Did he not? I'll remind him."

Fine.

THEN he says "You need to scan in that power of attorney document and email it to me."

I say, ok, I'll do it at work tomorrow.

"OH NO, do you don't have a scanner at home?"

No dad. No, I don't.

"Ok, well, tomorrow will be ok."

NEXT he says, "I'm also going to need the receipt that they sent you from the embassy for the $200."

At this point I'm ready to shoot myself in the face. The stamped document came back with what looked like a cash register receipt, and I had no idea it would ever be needed. So I threw it away.

OH MY GOD, the stunned silence.

"But wait, you paid with a money order! You have the receipt for that!"

NO DAD, I THREW THAT AWAY TOO. I will CALL the EMBASSY TOMORROW AND ASK FOR ANOTHER GD RECEIPT.

Just when you thought it was over ...

"I talked to the real estate agent today and the guy accepted the counteroffer."

So I say (keep in mind he told me about the original offer yesterday and I expressed my GLADNESS then), "Cool."

ARE YOU READY?

ARE YOU READY FOR ME TO LOSE MY SHIT?

Because THEN my father says, after a long pause, in the most accusatory tone possible, "I just don't understand why you're so apathetic about this."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please also note that the conversation paraphrased by the Slave above was in Polish. I was scared and went to the side of the room away from the phone.

~BK

December 16, 2004 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Karo said...

I'm going to assume that was a big, chunky, man-finger typo.

Also,

SECOND!!!

December 16, 2004 at 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twink the Third here.

Man, knowing the convo was in Polish, now I feel deprived! Next time, if you are IMing me a story like that, I expect it to be in Polish first, THEN translated.

December 16, 2004 at 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top 5!!

Poor B.K. I once heard Karo try to explain to her mother (in Polish) how to record something on the VCR over the phone. I was on the verge of tears by the end - it can be traumatizing for the onlookers.

~ Missy

December 16, 2004 at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home