Thursday, December 02, 2004

The controversial nature of acceptance

Have you heard? It's great! CBS and NBC are refusing to air a United Church of Christ television ad welcoming gay and lesbian couples into the church! In case you think thine eyes deceive you or that I smoked a pound of crack in the car on the way to work, here is the story from an actual news source. Also, for your enjoyment, I present to you a letter BK wrote to CBS yesterday:
The CBS network has recently determined that it will not air television advertisements for the United Church of Christ because those advertisements are "too controversial." What's the controversy? That the UCC welcomes homosexuals as members. Here's a link to the story: http://www.ucc.org/news/u113004a.htm If this account does not fairly represent CBS' position, I'd welcome hearing your side of it.

It is difficult for me to express without profanity my disgust at the decision of your network. CBS' explanation that the subject is simply too controversial is unconvincing. CBS airs news reports and other programming on a variety of controversial topics. CBS' best known program -- 60 Minutes -- is reknowned for being controversial. One of CBS' most famous sit-coms -- All in the Family -- was also famous for addressing controversial issues. CBS' "too controversial" excuse is pure bullshit.

Congratulations, gay-bashers! Way to go! What a victory for bigots everywhere!

Perhaps CBS as a corporate body really believes homosexuality is evil. This is unlikely, since CBS cares only about making money. More likely, CBS is worried that it has been perceived as "too liberal" because of Dan Rather's liberal reputation and the suprise appearance of Janet Jackson's nipple at the 2004 Super Bowl. I wonder if there's an email at CBS somewhere that reads, "Hey, if people think that we hate gays, then they won't think we're liberal!" If this doesn't work for you, consider programming entitled, "Misunderstood Nazis", "Why Can't the Coloreds Just Keep Quiet", and "CBS REALLY loves Jesus!"

CBS, please tell me, just how good does right-wing conservate ass taste? Personally, I haven't kissed it myself.

Goodbye, CBS. Good luck turning yourself into the PTL network. I won't be around to see how that goes for you, as I won't be watching you any longer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least I don't have to worry about continuing my love affair with ABC's Desperate Housewives! WHEW!

December 2, 2004 at 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sent an email, but I thought others might want to know about this effort in Alabama to ban any book that references or condones homosexuality. I learned about it from maudnewton.com, source of all literary-type news. But it goes well with this topic.

December 3, 2004 at 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home