Friday, February 04, 2005

"But there's only like 1½ people in the world you're comfortable with besides me"

Having decidedly tired of his mid-morning wakings, BK decided to bite the bullet and buy an automatic cat feeder with a timer. It arrived yesterday, and BK spent some time in the kitchen with Joshua Wanat, putting kibble in the bowl, closing it, opening it, and showing Josh that there's food in there. Joshua, being the gifted kitty that he is, spent the next 20 minutes frantically pawing at the feeder, scooting it around the floor and making a clatter that was, quite honestly, very disruptive of my Alias-watching. PRIORITIES, people. And cats.

In any case, the feeder was set to open at 3:45 a.m. BK reported this morning that he woke up at 4:00 a.m. (I guess old habits are hard to break even when the cat's not actually meowing) and went to inspect the feeder -- it was open but the kibble was still intact. HOWEVER, Joshua Wanat must have eventually found the bounty laid out at his paws, because there was no meowing! All night! No meowing = success! I imagine that what I'm feeling right now is like a fraction of what parents feel like when their kid sleeps through the night for the first time.




I just had the following conversation with my husband on the phone:

BK: We need to do some fun stuff this weekend.

Me: Hey, I did my part. I found the Bob Schneider concert and bought us tickets.

BK: Right! And I think we should go have dim sum with the church group Saturday afternoon.

Me: I don't want to do that.

BK: Why not? It'll be fun. You're always saying how we need to do more stuff.

Me: But I don't want my entire Saturday afternoon taken up.

BK: But you have to eat lunch!

Me: I can just have a sandwhich at home. No, wait a minute, I can't, since Buster pulled the loaf of bread off the counter and ate the whole thing.

BK: Well, let's invite my co-worker Andrew (this is a pseudonym -- do you think dooce has taught me nothing?) and his girlfriend over for dinner.

Me: No, I don't want to do that. He's a creepy Republican.

BK: Come on now, we need to do more stuff with people.

Me: But I'm not comfortable around them. I'd rather just be with you than people I'm not comfortable around.

BK: But sweetie, there's only like 1½ people in the world you're comfortable with besides me.

You see the problem, I'm sure.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm one half of those people!

- C

February 4, 2005 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Please can i lay claim to some small portion of those 1.5 people??

February 4, 2005 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger Emptyman said...

See, lawyers get used to talking nicely to people they dislike. After awhile we forget that others don't enjoy that.

And I don't know what states your husband is licensed in. I mean I can see that Texas wouldn't have the BMW requirement, because the car's made by them furriners. But if he's licensed in a blue state, he may be risking his bar status.

Plus you've got warm weather down there. I HIGHLY recommend a ragtop.

(Our cat could never figure out the food dispenser in a million years. But our dog has a device that looks like a gumball machine where he swats a lever with his paw and a little food spills out of the bottom. He loves it. He hasn't figured out that it's the same food which, when merely dumped in his bowl, doesn't really interest him that much.)

February 5, 2005 at 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home