Wednesday, January 26, 2005

This one goes out to Richard, my favorite mexikid

Something remarkable happened when I went to the grocery store after work today. I was picking up some staples, lots of veggies to go in the rice-cooker/steamer that BK got me for Christmas (steaming RAWKS), and I picked up a 2 lb. bag of frozen shrimp that was on sale for 1/2 off the regular price of $14.98.

[I'd like to take a moment to reminisce about being in 2nd grade and thinking that a lb., which I pronounced "lib" in my head, was a completely separate unit of measurement. The shame that resulted when I was reading aloud about some dinosaur in class and said that it weighed 1,000 LIBS! GOD DAMN YOU, NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING PARENTS. GOD DAMN YOU TO HELL.]

So I'm at Albertson's (It's My Store) checking out, and as I'm rolling my cart out the door I look at my receipt to check the bottom line where they tell you how much you saved with your PREFERRED CARD. I'm disappointed to see I only saved $5.00, and then I stop because that can't be right. My savings on the SHRIMP ALONE should have been $7.50. So I look on the receipt (which is now helpfully organized into categories likes "meats" and "produce") and in the "seafood" category I see that I was charged THE FULL FIFTEEN BUCKS for the shrimp.

Well! You can bet your bottom dollar that I marched my little self right over to the customer service counter and demanded satisfaction. And then! And then the lady told me that Albertson's policy is that if the wrong price gets scanned, they REFUND YOU THE WHOLE AMOUNT. Score! That's $15 right back in my pocket.

When I told BK this story, in a move very unlike his usually goody-two-shoes-self, he asked, "So did you go back in there and buy another bag of shrimp? Because the wrong price will probably scan again and you can get another bag free."

SNAP.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard is too bougey to use discounts these days. We've lost him.

-swd

January 26, 2005 at 6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mexikid doesn't even ask price, he just pulls out a wad of 20's in a money clip and pays.

January 27, 2005 at 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you kidding?! It's all about the game. It's all about screwing over the grocery store (or thinking you are) and getting everything for as cheap as possible.

That's right, I still use coupons! And my Kroger Plus card! Just this week I went and bought grocery. I spent $64... BEFORE my coupons and Kroger card. After they scanned in my coupons and card I paid... $44. Yeah!

So I say bully for you, K. You made me proud.

-- Mexikid

January 27, 2005 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home